Monday, August 4, 2008

Just Add Chocolate


In my family there are some super picky eaters. My hubby's cause is too late, but my kids can still be saved from all too familiar fast food comas and card board box dinners. This is where I come in. I am not the greatest cook, in fact my cooking at best is OK. I try hard and watch the food network a lot, but I will never be the Next Food Network Star.

As my children ate their first meals, I introduced all the fruits and vegggies. I steamed and pureed, smashed the avos and bananas, organic, made the super oatmeal, you get my drift. Now hardly a veggie passes their lips. What and where did I go wrong.

So now I am back to square one and my goal is to cook better and more. I want to cook with fresh and healthy ingredients. Simple, tasty, seasonal meals. Oh that sounds like a dream.

My daughter, the most picky of our crew, loves chocolate. So we add chocolate to many things. Here is a recipe I found on www.101cookbooks.com ( a beautiful recipe journal), and modified a bit to use what I had available. It turned out great! Super moist and not too sweet.

Chocolate Zucchini Cupcake Recipe

1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
3/4 vegetable oil
2 tblsp Nutella
3 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup milk + 1/2 tblsp white vinegar ( buttermilk substitute)
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (heaping)
1/3 cup wheat flour
2/3 cup unbleached flour
pinch salt
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp allspice
2 tsp cinnamon
2 bags instant hot cocoa.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with cups.

In a bowl mix together the sugar, butter and oil. Beat in eggs, one at a time until well incorporated. Stir in vanilla, milk, vinegar, zucchini, nutella, and chocolate chips.

In a separate bowl mix together all of the dry ingredients. Add the liquid ingredients and mix until well combined. Spoon batter into large muffin pans. Bake in the center of the oven for about 25 minutes. Cool. We ate them without icing but sprinkled a bit of powdered sugar on them. My little girl ate 2 at one sitting, that's unheard of!

xo, c.f.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

These yummy cupcakes were gone in record time. Light, smooth texture, delicious, & not too sweet. Perfect for breakfast, or a nutritious snack for young & old. Thanks!

Christine said...

Oooh, these sound wonderful! My kiddos will love them... Thanks for the tasty recipe. :o)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails